Below are the qualities you should acquire when attempting to gain employment in the construction industry:
• Hand/Eye & Body Coordination
• In-depth Knowledge of industry
• Problem Solving Skills
• Attention to Detail
• Sound Knowledge of Hand & Power Tools
• Physically Capable
If you’re looking to hire a crew, the qualities you should look for in every potential employee include:
1. Hand/Eye & Body Coordination
Possessing hand/eye and body coordination is incredibly important if you plan to work in construction. Construction labourers are required to move, carry and assemble different objects with one or both hands, perhaps while multitasking.
You may also be asked to perform different duties while sitting, standing, walking, climbing, digging, bending, lifting or lying down. It’s important to know how to best perform physical labour without losing your balance.
Another important aspect of hand-eye and body coordination involves operating power machinery and tools. Handling dangerous objects requires coordination to ensure you and your co-workers remain safe at all times.
2. In-depth Knowledge
As important as it is to possess terrific hand-eye and body coordination, it’s equally as important to know how to properly operate mechanical tools and power machinery. You should never operate machinery without having in-depth knowledge as to how it works and what to do if it malfunctions.
Labourers also need sound knowledge on how a construction site is run as well as who they need to speak to for any number of issues that arise.
When interviewing for a construction job, let the interviewer know you are properly trained in the knowledge of the running of a construction site and the proper handling of hand and power machinery. Doing so will set you apart from those who interview without such necessary skills.
3. Problem-solving Skills
Are you a good problem solver? If so, construction work is for you. Whether you’re faced with unexpected situations, mistakes or short delays, problem solving is a quality every construction worker should possess and always work to improve upon.
If you are looking to hire a problem solver, you can be confident that such workers perform tasks efficiently and don’t generally require added supervision.
4. Attention to Detail
Do you pay attention to details? This is especially important as mistakes can be costly. Construction workers must be able to see the big picture while also focusing on details. Many corporations hire labourers to work on a number of different projects at the same time. You should be able to compartmentalize each project’s requirements and efficiently fulfill your duties. As the saying goes – measure twice, cut once!
DSC’s recruitment process includes screening all candidates to ensure they have all the above-mentioned qualities. Once registration is complete candidates will be placed on-site to assist tradespeople on building and construction sites by performing a range of manual labouring jobs.
Construction Workers may perform the following tasks:
• Unload, carry, and stack building materials and place tools and equipment in position.
• Dig trenches using hand tools or jackhammers to break up rock and concrete so that footings and services can be laid.
• Place and compact filling and quarry materials.
• Help to erect and dismantle scaffolding (subject to certification in some states and territories), ramps, catwalks, barricades, and warning lights.
• Mix, pour and spread concrete.
• Use wheelbarrows to remove rubble and rubbish from building sites.
• Dismantle small structures and strip materials in preparation for new constructions.
• Clean surfaces for painters.
• Help form up for concreting.
• Using minor plant and equipment.
• Using all PPE as required.
If you possess the above qualities and are looking for work we would love to hear from you. Register your details with us and we will be in touch when a job comes up that matches your skills and preferred occupation/industry.
If you are an employer who is looking for Labour Hire Sydney, we have a database of qualified construction staff. Contact us today and have a chat with one of our friendly staff members about your hiring needs.